Monday, March 10, 2008

English word for Gerbera in China.

I'm still looking but know that this flower is indeed popular in China. I see it in magazines, and I see many in florist shops here. Sadly no one in the florist shop seems to speak English, but one day I will find a student to go with me and interpret. I'd love to know what they call it here.

The flowers are somewhat different to the ones we grow in Brisbane - I think they are slightly different because they are grown in this very cold climate with some heating. But I need to check.

I notice with the Chinese government's meeting (National Peoples' Congress) at the moment, that some of the floral arrangements have colourful gerberas in them, as well as Asiatic Lilies.

What I have noticed is the large numbers of what I would call "strange" arrangements with cane and gerberas. The cane contraption is about 4 - 5 feet high, and at several points there is a block of green "oasis" - and there are ribbons, and gerbera flowers and greenery. Shops seem to have these "arrangements" on either side of their door for a special event, perhaps a sale, or opening or launch of new products. By the time I have seen them they are pretty sad and sorry, with the flowers hanging limply from the oasis, which is not in water or any container.

Perhaps they are expensive. Perhaps they are not. Sadly they look very dreary when I see them.

No comments: