Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hothouse


When I arrived in China a few weeks ago I was surprised to see acres and acres of small hothouses or greenhouses. It appears that many vegetables are grown under plastic tunnels just like the hothouse we grow Gerberas in.
I did not get an opportunity to take a photo from the bus on that occasion, but I found right next to my apartment that the college gardeners have a few plastic covered domes. They are not the quality of plastic over them as we have in Australia - and the structure is rather fragile compared to ours, but that is what they are doing with them.
There is a small garden hidden behind a hedge beside our apartment block, and I took this photo which shows the college apartment block right behind. I can just see a little of the garden from my loungeroom window.
The gardeners here seem to be older men and women and they work tirelessly to keep the massive gardens at the college in order. They ride tricycles pulling their carts, or just tie the cart to the body and run, like a horse pulling the cart.

No comments: